Tuesday, July 21, 2009

The problem with summer reading

My favorite/least favorite part about preparing for vacation is picking out books for the trip.

After I shuttle myself to the Columbus Public Library (aka "The Greatest Public Library in the History of Forever") I have to confront several pressing issues:

1. How many books am I actually going to read? I don't want to overestimate and end up packing 15 books for a week-long trip, but, to me, there is nothing worse than running out of reading material halfway through the trip (see Schedler family vacation to Kiawah, SC, 8/2006) and having to sit bored off my ass while everyone else savors their choice books.

Several attempts at a mathematical formula to accurately predict number of books necessary for a given trip have failed.

2. Even more difficult, what books do I pick?

In the summer, I always find myself debating an appropriate level of mental engagement for a given book.

I could easily go into fluff mode, and I have done this several times. But I always end up feeling dirty halfway through the books, like I am cheating on my brain or something. Last year's tryst with Jennifer Weiner's In Her Shoes is a prime example.

Or I could go hardcore, but, seriously, who wants to read Great Expectations on the beach?

NPR is currently polling visitors to their Web site about their favorite summer reads and will compile a list at the end of the month. Right now, they're narrowing a list of 100 finalists down to 10 best-ever beach books.

Just in time for my staycation.

No comments: