Thursday, July 9, 2009

Great Books for Grade School Kids (Mainly Girls)

In his column for the NYTimes, Nicholas Kristof gave his list of summer reads for kids. Now, while everyone is entitled to their opinion, I have to say I thought his list was severely lacking. So I have come up with my own.

I gobbled books as a grade schooler, and here's some that will demonstrate why:

1. Sounder - This was basically my favorite book as a child. It was the first chapter book my mom read to me, and I read it seven times in one year. Spoiler alert: Sad dog story.

But it's way better than Old Yeller. Based on a true story, it introduces young readers to themes of racism, poverty and the importance of family and education.

2. To Kill A Mockingbird - I am naming my firstborn Harper. This is one of the best books ever, and no one should forget it. Plus, it's a great read for the summer when the air's humid and heavy.

Don't miss out on the movie with Gregory Peck either.

3. Junie B. Jones - These books were my younger sister's favorite series as a first-grader. And luckily, as the older sister, I got to pretend I was just listening/reading because I was benevolent.

Realistically, this book will only appeal to a hip, female crowd, but older brothers and dads can just do what I did.

4. Sideways Stories from Wayside School - This Louis Sachar essential series follows the strange happening of students at Wayside School, with each chapter telling one kid's weird tale (or one weird kid's tale).

Hint: Don't be misinformed. The school is 30 stories high - it's just missing floor 19.

5. Little House on the Prairie - What American girl grows up without Laura Ingalls Wilder? I recommend the entire series, but this book is best for summer. With parties, horses and, of course, covered wagons, this is a great adventure book for girls.

6. From the Mixed-Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler - A story of a runaway 11-year-old and her brother who make a home in the MOMA. After learning how to blend in to their prestigious surroundings, the two discover a mystery about Michaelangelo. (But it is believeable and doesn't suck like the DaVinci Code).

7. Stuart Little - A mouse. That I like. The end.

When they are finished, they can even watch the movie, which is tolerable and has that cute kid from "Jerry Maguire."

8. Dear America series - Yes, as a kid I was a history buff. So sue me. These beautifully designed books were written as diary entries or letters. They were interesting and mostly historically accurate. Plus, they tend to show a more diverse view than the American Girl books, although neither, as far as I know, include as Asian narrator (although a concurrent series, the Royal Diaries, does).

There are also books from the male perspective called the My Name is America series, but they are all soldiers as far as I know. Also won't discuss social implications of the two series titles. For my one reader with a kid on the way, I suggest giving that MA native the Dear America Patience Whipple (about a voyage on the Mayflower) book at about age nine, assuming precociousness is an inevitable hereditary trait. Hoorah.


There. There are eight books your school-aged kids can read when they've finished all 10,000 pages of the Harry Potter series in two weeks and are drooling in front of the Wii.

What would you add?

6 comments:

Blondie said...

Anything by Roald Dahl, the master of children's lit.

Piyush said...

Boxcar Children you scrub a dub dub. How could you forget?

Blondone said...

OMG how could I forget Boxcar Children?!?!?!

Unknown said...

Julie of the Wolves, anyone? I loved that. She was such a badass.

Also, I loved the American Girl books and probably had the first chapter of Kirsten's book committed to memory.

Andrea said...

The Westing Game and Hatchet were two of my faves

Anonymous said...

Well, your one MA reader with a baby on the way had an interesting conversation with his 3 year old a few weeks back. He was playing with Playmobil Roman soldiers when he stopped and said, "Daddy, the Romans are the good guys and the Gauls are the bad guys." I asked where he ever got that idea. He said, "The Gauls are hairy."

Being hirsute, I'm not sure I'm comfortable with that line of reasoning. So I guess I'd better get him on history books ASAP, so he can make more informed decisions (even if he's right, it's for the wrong reasons). Speaking of history for youngsters, for boys and girls aged 10-14, I'd highly recommend the historical fiction book "The Young Carthaginian" by G.A. Henty.