Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Sherman Alexie Haunts My Dreams

It's not normal for someone to wake up only remembering that in her dream, Sherman Alexie was judging her. I've never seen him except for the portraits that are on the backs of books, but I knew it was him.

The reason? I don't remember. But I know whatever Freudian desire masked what is was stood for The Kindle, which he called elitist nearly a month ago. He later explained that this was because children of poverty are the last to benefit from technology, and this would leave them behind.


But, as much as I want to be an awesome person, I wanted one. And apparently, booksellers are anticipating everyone else will, too.

Simon and Schuster signed a deal with ScribD, China Daily reported the money Chinese technological manufacturers lost with cell phones in 2009 was hoped to be made up for with knock-off Kindles, and booksellers worry that their "expensive" paperbacks will be returned for $1.99 replacements in the e-world.

And Kindle Deluxe was released, and the world continued to spin. Certainly, it will not be the downfall of the publishing industry as the internet was/is for the newspaper industry.

Sitting and typing now, after taking a breather for a bit, I realize, I do not really want a $400 Kindle. This is not only because I am a poor college student who really needs to purchase a business wardrobe and pay off loans before buying myself anything shiny; it is also because there is something about being with a book and not connected with everyone you know through the InterWebz or the newest pop-tech device. There is something about seceding from this fast-paced place and reading a book. I don't plan on reading a Kindle to my little cousins, nor do I plan on reading Gone with the Wind on it (would tear drops ruin the screen?).

And I can definitely see the benefit - instead of lugging around a gigantic bag that weighs down my right shoulder, I could palm a sleek library. Maybe if I had more money and more than a semester of classes, I would invest for the potential textbook savings.

But as a lover of literature, I just can't bring myself to cheat. (Cue "My Heart Would Know" by Hank Williams). Although maybe that would change if they were giving them away or they were less four college loan minimum payments.

Thanks, Sherman.


2 comments:

Ashley said...

I originally asked my mom for a kindle as my graduation present. But then my car bit the dust and that was no longer an option. BUt the more i think about it the more i realize i dont really want one either. I collect books, so it seems silly to me to collect them on an electronic device. like you said, cheating. And also, I've been going to Barnes and Noble for stress relief since I was 8 years old. Some how I dont think browsing through downloads on a kindle would do the same thing for me.

Also...people need to get out of the house. Bookstores have good atmosphere and give you opportunity to...you know...interact with people.

Blondone said...

No same. Like, how would we have made it through high school or ever had a spot to hang out besides my basement or your basement without the B&N?