Thursday, June 18, 2009

The Big Lebowski Reader

I now feel like a complete loser failure. As a loser, I have seen "The Big Lebowski." But as a Louisvillian, I have not yet made it to Lebowski Fest, which was featured on my favorite food show, "Ace of Cakes." And now, just to add insult to injury, IU is more in tune with The Dude than I am as well.

This fall, IU Press will be debuting The Year's Work in Lebowski Studies. Because at state schools, graduate students can still study things that are almost worthless to the working class but way cool. And, for those of you from the best city Stateside (Louisville, of course), the book is coauthored by a U of L professor.

Aside from this movie being hilarious and inspiring many makeshift Halloween costumes, the book is going to explore how the cult classic has changed/shows changes in our culture, such as the Iraq War, college life and slacking off in general. I don't know if it talks about White Russians that much, but I feel like it should.

1 comment:

Blondone said...

I would also like to thank Jeanette, Kevin and Mother Bear's, without whom I might have never viewed "The Big Lebowski."